Field Day Academy was conceived as an opportunity for folks who may be interested in Field Day participation to learn by doing in a low-risk environment, allowing those same individuals to feel more comfortable and confident with Field Day participation. We achieve this by using a Parks On The Air (POTA) activation as a proxy for Field Day activity.
Last year, participation was limited to those who were newly licensed or generally inexperienced with HF operation. However, this year, we are opening the event to ALL interested individuals.
Note that anyone is welcome to attend the hands-on training from 08:00-10:00 or to visit during the on-air portion of the event, however (unlike our SCARC in the Park events) advance signup for a one-hour operating position is REQUIRED if you want to get the on-air experience. Signups are being taken via W0YR's website at this link: SCARC Field Day Academy 2022
Topics demonstrated hands-on at Ledges will include:
• Show-and-tell with various field deployable HF antennas
• Surveying the site and deciding where to put HF antennas
• Pneumatic antenna launcher use
• Supporting HF antennas from trees
• Installing and properly coiling coax without damaging it
• Setting up an HF field station with computer logging
• Hands-on radio operating and contact logging experience